PPL Computer Workshops
The Learning Center offers a computer lab that is open to the public throughout the week as well as free, weekly workshops to help improve your computer skills. Most workshops are two hours long. Click to view the CURRENT WORKSHOP CALENDAR and NEXT MONTH’S WORKSHOP CALENDAR for dates and times each workshop is offered. Call 612.455.5300 or stop by the PPL Learning Center (1925 Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis) to sign-up and reserve a spot in class. Here are the workshops we offer:
- Computer Basics 1 : Intro Learn basic terms and software functions as well as how to use the mouse and save documents. Skilled trainers allow for plenty of hands-on practice opportunities.
- Computer Basics: MS Word Learn how to format, save and print using Word 2013. This class uses a sample resume, helping you become comfortable formatting your own resume.
- Computer Basics 3: Internet Learn to navigate web pages and search for information online. You’ll learn what the world wide web is, how to best search for jobs as well as use maps to plan your route.
- Computer Basics 4: Email Learn how to organize your account, send professional email messages and attach documents such as your resume and cover letter to send to future employers.
- Computer Basics 5: Online Learning Review what you’ve learned during the series using Learner Web. This self-paced online tool will help solidify your new skills in Word, Internet and Email and get you ready to earn your computer proficiency certificate in Computer Basics 6. Receive 1:1 assistance.
- Computer Basics 6: Certification: Now that you’ve completed the Computer Basics 1 – 5 series, you’re ready to test your computer proficiency by taking the Northstar Digital Literacy Online Assessment. Pass at 85% and earn a certificate. Show your future employer you have the computer skills they’re looking for!
- Excel 1: Beginner Learn the basics of how to set up personal budgets, spreadsheets for business and use basic formulas.
- Excel 2: Intermediate Now that you’ve got the basics, take your Excel skills to the next level. You’ll learn how to format cells, sort and filter data and much more.
- Excel 3: Advanced This class finishes off the series with several useful techniques such as creating pivot tables, conditional formatting with formulas, removing duplicate data, creating sparklines and drop-down lists, plotting multiple data series on a single graph/chart and doing a monthly budget/spending plan. Lots of great info and we will walk you through it! Excel 3 practice worksheet – used in class.
- Google Drive Learn how you to easily create, share and edit documents online in this intermediate level workshop.
- Online Learning Want to increase your computer skills, watch videos online and work at your own pace? This open lab uses an online tool called Learner Web to teach Word, Internet and Email and will help prepare you to earn your computer proficiency certificate in Computer Basics 6.
- PowerPoint Basics Learn to create professional presentations for employment or education opportunities in this intermediate level workshop.
- Typing Lab Improve your typing speed using our Mavis Beacon software. This program helps you learn the home row keys as well as work your way up to 40 wpm.
Other Free Computer Classes