PPL Learning Center
PPL offers job and skills training programs designed to help you improve your employment opportunities. Attend our Learning Center Information Sessions, held at 9 a.m. every Monday at the PPL Learning Center (1925 Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis), to get started.
PPL’s Learning Center offers a computer lab and free, weekly workshops to help improve your computer skills and professional development. Click to view the current Monthly Workshop Calendar to see upcoming times and dates.
PPL offers job skills training classes to help you improve your employment opportunities. Classes may provide a monetary stipend upon your successful completion of a program. Eligibility requirements vary for each class.
- Banking This 3-week course focuses on customer service that prepares you for banking positions such as teller or personal banker. In-class opportunities to learn banking terminology and to interact with managers and recruiters from various local banks; possible opportunity for first interview with local bank upon successful completion.
- Healthcare Clerical In this 6-week class, you will learn employment and customer service skills, medical terminology/electronic health records, computer/office training, etc. A few examples of jobs accepted by past graduates include: hospital call center operator, patient registrar, and customer service representative. Two-week internship provided.
- Office Specialist This 6-week training focuses on further developing your administrative skills and attributes to help you land a position as a Hennepin County Office Specialist. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing at Hennepin County, providing you with hands-on experience in the Office Specialist role.
- Public Sector Admin Plus This 6-week training focuses on further developing your administrative skills and attributes to help you land a position in an administrative/clerical role at organizations such as State of MN, University of MN, City of St. Paul or City of Minneapolis. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing, providing you with hands-on experience in the administrative/clerical role.
- ReEntry2Work – Customer Service and Sales This 3-week training, specifically for individuals with a recent criminal history, will focus on building a career in customer service and sales. You’ll receive the National Retail Foundation’s Basic Customer Service & Sales training and certification. Learn a modern approach to sales, meeting customer needs, and educating customers that most retail and service-related employers are looking for.
Earn College Credits
These short-term certificate programs offer specialized training with college credit and/or continuing education units from Minneapolis Community and Technical College upon successful completion of the program.
- Building Operations Technician Hands-on training for the repair and upkeep of heating, cooling, plumbing, and electrical systems in local office buildings and facilities.
- Healthcare Plus Build computer and professional development skills to prepare for positions like Patient Assistant Coordinator. Get hands-on learning experience at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, organizing and managing the details to support nurses providing patient care, plus you’ll get a first interview upon graduation!
- Human Services Program offers computer and professional skills for a career helping others as a human services representative.
Tell me more