PPL Employment Skills Classroom Training
PPL offers job and skills training programs designed to help you improve your employment opportunities. Classes may provide a monetary stipend to program graduates. You’ll begin your job search in the classroom, with insights on what employers are looking for, and tips on how to write a resume, interview, and meet workplace expectations.
Attend our Learning Center Information Sessions, held at 9 a.m. every Monday at the PPL Learning Center (1925 Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis), to get started.
Train to Work Programs include:
- Banking This 3-week course focuses on customer service that prepares you for banking positions such as teller or personal banker. In-class opportunities to learn banking terminology and to interact with managers and recruiters from various local banks; possible opportunity for first interview with local bank upon successful completion.
- Healthcare Clerical In this 6-week class, you will learn employment and customer service skills, medical terminology/electronic health records, computer/office training, etc. A few examples of jobs accepted by past graduates include: hospital call center operator, patient registrar, and customer service representative. Two-week internship provided.
- Office Specialist This 6-week training focuses on further developing your administrative skills and attributes to help you land a position as a Hennepin County Office Specialist. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing at Hennepin County, providing you with hands-on experience in the Office Specialist role.
- Office Specialist for Department of Revenue This 3-week training focuses on further developing your computer and office skills to help prepare you for a seasonal position with the State of Minnesota’s Department of Revenue. Upon graduating from the program, and applying for a position, you will be guaranteed an interview with the State of Minnesota.
- Public Sector Admin Plus This 6-week training focuses on further developing your administrative skills and attributes to help you land a position in an administrative/clerical role at organizations such as State of MN, University of MN, City of St. Paul or City of Minneapolis. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing, providing you with hands-on experience in the administrative/clerical role.
- ReEntry2Work Have a recent criminal background? Join this 3-week training program where you’ll connect with others in the same situation and learn how to best address your criminal background when applying for jobs. Additionally, you’ll learn customer service, computer, financial, job-seeking, communication, self-confidence and other skills needed to thrive in today’s workplace!
Career Pathways Programs include:
- Building Operations Technician Hands-on training for the repair and upkeep of heating, cooling, plumbing, and electrical systems in local office buildings and facilities.
- Healthcare Plus Build computer and professional development skills to prepare for positions like Patient Assistant Coordinator. Get hands-on learning experience at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, organizing and managing the details to support nurses providing patient care, plus you’ll get a first interview upon graduation!
- Human Services Program offers computer and professional skills for a career helping others as a human services representative.
Tell me more about PPL Classroom Training